Oklahoma’s landscaping zone makes it a great contender to include junipers to create year-round interest in residential and commercial landscapes. We continue to enjoy including them in many of our landscape designs, especially for clients seeking low maintenance plants.
There are several benefits of using evergreens in landscaping design:
- Year-round color: Evergreens retain their foliage throughout the year, providing color and texture to your landscape even during the winter months when many other plants go dormant.
- Structure and form: Evergreens can provide structure and form to your landscaping design. They can be used as hedges, screens, or as focal points to create a sense of balance and cohesion.
- Low maintenance: Evergreens are generally low-maintenance plants, requiring little pruning or care. This makes them a popular choice for landscaping designs that require little upkeep.
- Privacy: Larger evergreens can be used as natural privacy screens, blocking out unwanted views and noise.
- Versatility: Evergreens come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and colors, making them a versatile choice for landscaping design. They can be used to create different moods, from formal and structured to informal and naturalistic.
- Design Considerations: The yellow-gold foliage of an evergreen such as Old Gold Juniper (pictured above) can add a bright pop of color to your landscaping bed, while the silvery-blue foliage of Grey Owl juniper (pictured above) can create a more muted, calming effect. Consider the overall color scheme and aesthetic you want to create in your landscaping design.
Overall, evergreens are a great choice for landscaping design due to their year-round interest, low maintenance, and versatility.